Florida Drug Detox Guide
Florida, the Sunshine State, has beautiful beaches along the Atlantic and Gulf Coasts. Warm weather is a constant nearly all year, and a multicultural population offers a wide variety of food and entertainment. The state is also home to dozens of high-quality drug and alcohol detox programs, to help residents and visitors of all ages, abilities, and living situations. Overcoming substance abuse is essential for long-term health, and detox is the first step in that process.
Those seeking detox assistance in Florida have plenty of options to choose from. The 25 best options are outlined in detail below.
Find Detox and Rehab Centers in Florida
Many of these detox facilities provide inpatient and outpatient rehabilitation services to smooth the transition between detox and ongoing recovery. Several of these options also provide specific care programs, depending on client age or substance abused.
- River Oaks: One of the leading treatment facilities in the state of Florida, River Oaks offers several levels of care, starting with medical detox. Other programs offered include residential treatment for people who need long-term inpatient care, partial hospitalization, and intensive outpatient care for those who need to live at home during treatment. As soon as a person is enrolled at River Oaks, they will be evaluated by a medical professional for co-occurring disorders and medical issues to ensure individual, high-quality treatment that addresses all present issues. The River Oaks team will also evaluate the individual’s environment and situation for stressors, to ensure the most focused treatment. During medical detox, the client lives in the treatment facility and receives 24/7 care. For more information, contact River Oaks at (888) 432-2390.
- Recovery First: The original Recovery First treatment center in Hollywood, Florida, offers inpatient detox in addition to other levels of treatment. Medical professionals assess each person entering treatment, so they receive the best individual care to ensure they safely end their physical dependence on drugs. For more information on the detox, residential, and outpatient programs, call (888) 571-0824.
- Revive Detox Center: Located along the Treasure Coast of Florida, this is one of the highest-rated detox facilities in Florida. Revive uses evidence-based treatment with a spiritual focus, so those entering treatment receive a complete approach to recovery. This facility assists with detox and rehabilitation, and detox programs are divided into three types: Medical, Drug, and Benzodiazepine Detox. Revive’s inpatient programs provide medical support and monitoring, neurotransmitter replacement therapy, and holistic therapies like massage. Revive’s team of professionals understands that no single approach works for every individual, so they tailor their care based on assessments and case management.
- Boca Detox Center: Unlike many treatment facilities on this list, Boca Detox Center specializes in detox programs. While the professionals at the facility will help clients transition into a rehabilitation program, they only offer detox programs. Four separate types of detox programs cover withdrawal from alcohol, opiates, benzodiazepines, and other drugs. Medical professionals assess each client and help them safely detox from their substance of abuse. They also provide help to avoid relapse.
- White Sands Treatment: This well-regarded treatment facility provides every level of treatment possible to help anyone who walks through the door. This includes medical detox services to help clients safely withdraw from alcohol, prescription drugs, and illegal drugs. The detox treatment plan includes stabilizing the individual’s physical condition, 24/7 monitoring, and assessment for other physical or mental conditions that may require care. White Sands also helps people transition into an appropriate rehabilitation program after they have successfully detoxed.
- Seaside Palm Beach Luxury Alcohol and Drug Rehabilitation: As a luxury detox and rehabilitation facility, Seaside provides comfortable accommodations and numerous holistic approaches to recovery and staffs high-quality medical professionals and therapists. Seaside specializes in prescription painkiller detox, including Suboxone therapy. Other medications may be administered to ease withdrawal symptoms as needed, and clients receive 24/7 care from well-trained and well-regarded staff.
- Novus Medical Detox Center: Another program specializing in just medical detox, this residential facility ensures that each individual client receives personal attention, case management, and high-quality services. Programs include safe medications to assist in the withdrawal process, natural supplements to replace vitamins and minerals in the body, healthy foods, and a stress-free environment. Novus has developed several program tracks to help clients detox from opiates, methadone, OxyContin, oxycodone, Vicodin, heroin, Suboxone, and alcohol.
- Detox of South Florida: This detox facility has two tracks: alcohol detox and drug detox. To guarantee that each client recovers their physical and mental health, medical professionals assess each person to create an individualized recovery plan. Medical monitoring and intervention for the specific detox process are combined with therapy to help prevent relapse. There are also detox aftercare follow-up appointments and in-house completion programs to help each person remain sober.
- Lumiere Detox Center: As a center focused specifically on safe, medically supervised detox, this facility provides several specific detox programs. These cover withdrawal from alcohol, opiates, methadone, prescription drugs, and other types of intoxicating drugs. Each person entering the programs at Lumiere receives a personal assessment to ensure they receive tailored treatment for their specific condition. Case management, education, relapse prevention, and discharge planning are all integral parts of the detox process, working to help the client enter an appropriate rehabilitation program and remain sober.
- Summit Detox Facility from Transformations: Transformation Treatment Center provides a 20-bed detox facility called Summit, which provides customized detox from alcohol, prescription and illegal drugs, opiates, benzodiazepines, and heroin. The residential facility is along the Atlantic Coast of Florida and offers medication-assisted therapies, 24/7 medical oversight, vitamin and mineral supplements along with healthy meals, and gender-specific floors for personal security. Supplemental treatments during detox include 12-Step-style meetings, chiropractic treatment, and other holistic options. The focus is on recovering physically, emotionally, and spiritually, so the whole person recovers.
- 12 Keys Rehab: This facility offers several specialized detox and rehabilitation programs, covering nearly every type of substance. 12 Keys offers two basic detox programs: drug and alcohol detox, and emergency detox and rehabilitation. Their detox programs offer holistic support, starting with medical supervision and continuing with therapy and other options. Emergency services keep the person safe while they detox if their friends and family believe they are in a dire or self-harming state. Once the person has safely detoxed, 12 Keys helps them shift into an appropriate rehabilitation program with their company.
- Florida Detox & Wellness Institute: This high-rated facility offers an array of detox programs, primarily focused on prescription opioid and narcotic addiction. Programs include detox from buprenorphine, Demerol, Dilaudid, Duragesic, fentanyl, heroin, hydrocodone, Lorcet, Lortab, methadone, Opana, oxycodone, OxyContin, Percocet, Roxycodone, Suboxone, Subutex, tramadol, and Vicodin, along with alcohol, sleeping aids like Ambien and Lunesta, benzodiazepines, cocaine, GHB, and Soma. Florida Detox & Wellness uses evidence-based methods and scientific procedures to help each client safely and successfully overcome their physical dependence on a drug. While this program does not offer rehabilitation after detox, the group will help their clients find the right continuum of care.
- Beachway Therapy Center: Offering individualized care, confidential and private therapy options, and safe, medically supervised detox, Beachway boasts a high rate of success with their detox program. They not only help their clients end their physical dependence on intoxicating chemicals; they also offer counseling during the detox process. Then, when the person has successfully detoxed, Beachway can help them transition into a rehabilitation program that works for them.
- Harbor Village: This complete drug and alcohol treatment program begins with inpatient medically supervised detox. Once a person goes through that program, they graduate into a rehabilitation program. Harbor Village provides personalized assessments, group therapy, and dual diagnosis treatment, among many options.
- Reawakenings Wellness Center: This program offers alcohol-specific detox and drug detox, with medical oversight and science-based approaches. Using a combination of holistic and therapeutic treatments during detox, Reawakenings helps each client with a personalized approach to detox. They also offer partial hospitalization, intensive outpatient, and traditional outpatient rehabilitation after detox. They are one of the few detox programs that has a track specifically for soon-to-be mothers struggling with addiction, called Forgotten Mom.
- The Watershed: This facility offers a wide range of rehabilitation options, starting with residential medically supervised detox. Medical professionals at Watershed help each client safely get through detox to end the body’s physical dependence on intoxicating substances. They will then work with the client on entering an appropriate rehabilitation program.
- Sunrise Detox Centers: With several branches across the state, Sunrise Detox offers high-quality freestanding drug and alcohol detox with medical supervision. The professionals at Sunrise understand that being comfortable is the key to overcoming substance abuse.
- Serenity House Detox: The medical and therapy professionals at Serenity House provide dozens of specific programs to help each individual safely detox and stay sober. Programs focus not only on specific addictions, but on specific populations. Some of these options include detoxing from opiates, alcohol, crack, and meth, while people-focused programs include separate men’s and women’s detox programs.
- The Haven: This well-regarded detox program offers help for several types of substance abuse, including abuse of alcohol, benzodiazepines, barbiturates, bath salts and flakka, cocaine, meth, opiates, methadone, and Suboxone. The goal of the detox program is to provide medical oversight, 24/7 assistance and care, and therapy options to help clients remain sober long after they leave treatment. They begin with treatment for the acute aspects of detox but also focus on long-term psychological withdrawal.
- Royal Life Centers: With several resources and treatment options for long-term success, Royal Life Centers begins working with clients by developing a personalized treatment plan and then helping them to safely detox using evidence-based therapies. The professionals at Royal know that addiction is not just about physical dependence; it is also a psychological struggle. Once the individual has safely detoxed from their substance of abuse, Royal offers inpatient and outpatient rehabilitation, sober living homes, and sober studios, their music and art therapy wing.
- Just Believe Recovery Center: This facility provides complete addiction treatment, beginning at the Just Believe Detox Center and moving through a rehabilitation program that will work best for each client. Their detox program includes 24/7 medical supervision, medication to manage withdrawal symptoms as needed, nutritional assessment and help, and both individual and group therapy. Once the individual has successfully detoxed, they can be transferred to the Just Believe Recovery Center for continued rehabilitation.
- Palm Partners Recovery Center: Another complete suite of treatment beginning with medically supervised detox, this program helps people struggling with alcohol or drug addiction safely end their physical addiction. Palm Partners also helps those with co-occurring disorders, families of those struggling with substance abuse, and more.
- Futures of Palm Beach: This facility works with respected psychotherapists and doctors to help their clients receive the best quality treatment for substance abuse, beginning with alcohol or drug detox. Futures works with all kinds of addictions, including addictions to alcohol, prescription drugs, and designer or synthetic substances. They also specialize in treating people suffering from co-occurring disorders.
- South Florida Detox Center: With two locations in St. Lucie and West Palm Beach, South Florida Detox is a renowned outpatient detox facility. Expert staff will conduct an initial assessment and continue regular, personalized follow-up care to help their clients continue on the path to sobriety while remaining in the community.
- <Elements Behavioral Health: This comprehensive treatment facility starts with alcohol and drug detox, involving residential medical monitoring, psychiatric evaluations, evidence-based treatments, and a comfortable, home-like setting. Once a detox client has safely overcome their physical dependence and their health has stabilized, they can continue to one of Elements’s personalized rehabilitation programs, which include Christian-specific treatment and help for young adults overcoming addiction.
Additional Detox Programs, Florida
These programs may be attached to continuing inpatient or outpatient rehabilitation services, or they may provide case managers who can refer the client to a different service. Often, detox services can be found in medical centers and hospitals, which can mean better insurance coverage or financial assistance.
- New Life Addiction Treatment: 1497 SW Martin Downs Blvd, Palm City, Florida, 34990. They accept most major forms of insurance and offer mental health care, long-term treatment, intensive outpatient treatment, and holistic approaches to treatment after detox.
- Addiction Solutions of South Florida: 6115 Lyons Road, Coconut Creek, Florida, 33073
They specialize in the Break Free Plan, which focuses on each step in the recovery process but also filling in the gaps between the steps.
- Summer House Detox Center: 13550 Memorial Highway, Miami, FL 33161
This facility provides evidence-based medical attention to detox safely from alcohol, benzodiazepines, heroin, methadone, and Suboxone.
- The Palm Beach Institute: 314 10th St., West Palm Beach, FL 33401
They provide detox, residential rehabilitation, family support programs, and support for alumni of the program.
- TriCounty Human Services: 1815 Crystal Lake Drive, Lakeland, Florida, 33801
One of the numerous support programs provided by TriCounty is medically supervised outpatient detox.
- Charlotte Behavioral Health Care (CBHC): 1700 Education Avenue, Punta Gorda, FL 33950
Treatment is intended to be brief, lasting about a week, and provides 12-Step spirituality for those interested in participating.
- Operation PAR Behavioral Health & Wellness: 6655 66th Street North, Pinellas Park FL 33781
After an assessment, a client may be eligible for either inpatient or outpatient treatment based on their needs. Short-term living arrangements may be provided for some outpatient clients.
- The Oasis at Tampa Community Hospital: 6001 Webb Rd, Tampa, FL 33615
The intensive outpatient treatment program begins with detox, which takes between three days and one week, depending on the client’s needs.
- Lighthouse Detox at Jupiter Medical Center: 1230 S. Old Dixie Hwy., Jupiter, FL 33458
Detox covers many substances, including alcohol, benzodiazepines, cocaine and crack cocaine, marijuana, opiates and heroin, prescription drugs, stimulants, amphetamines, and polysubstance abuse.
- The Refuge – A Healing Place: 14835 SE 85th Street Rd, Ocklawaha, FL 32179
Once detox has been completed, clients are transferred to residential treatment with a Certified Trauma Therapist. Then, they may continue into the outpatient program, with or without prescription medications as needed to maintain sobriety.
- West Palm Beach VA Medical Center: 7305 N Military Trl, Riviera Beach, FL 33410
Veterans’ benefits cover a variety of substance abuse, mental health, and medical treatments, including outpatient detox services.
- The Teen Treatment Center: 4445 Pine Forest Dr, Lake Worth, FL 33463
Treatment is focused on adolescents, with separate programs for girls and boys. Programs include safe, medically supervised detox in a residential setting. Further rehabilitation programs offer support for family members, recreational therapy like music or art therapy, basic living skills, spiritual care, and academic support so they can graduate.
The Sunshine State offers an incredible array of detox options and ongoing treatment for those who need to recover from addiction to alcohol or drugs. Treatment should never be a one-size-fits-all solution, and Florida provides customized addiction treatment services for anyone in need.
Free Detox Centers in Florida
The National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA) states that medically assisted drug or alcohol detox is only the first step in long-term rehabilitation and recovery from substance abuse. It is important for people who need help overcoming addiction to stay in treatment for at least 90 days, or three months, and people who continue receiving support through therapy or support groups after detox will continue to improve and maintain abstinence for longer.
When many people think of detox and rehabilitation, they imagine luxury resorts with spas and massage therapy, and that, in their mind, equates to very expensive help. Too many people in the US are not able to afford a basic detox center, which may make them feel as though they have no options. Fortunately, there are many free and low-cost detox programs available to help anyone with any level of need get started on their recovery from addiction.
Florida, the Sunshine State, offers some great free detox centers for people who need help.
Government Drug Detox, Florida
The state of Florida provides licensing, certification, and funding for detox and rehabilitation programs through the Florida Department of Children and Families (FDCF). FDCF maintains a list of all programs it has awarded licenses to, with the type of funding used (public or state-based versus private or individual-paid) and the type of treatment they provide. There are 270 detox programs listed.
Some of these use public funds to provide free or low-cost treatment, including:
- Apalachee Center, Inc.: This Tallahassee-based inpatient detox center offsets its costs using public funding.
- Aspire Health Partners: The inpatient and outpatient programs in Orlando and Sanford use public funds to offset the cost of treatment for those who need financial assistance or free services.
- Broward County Elderly & Veterans Services Division: Public funds are provided through the Broward County Board of County Commissioners for this inpatient detox program, which is based in Fort Lauderdale.
- The Centers, Inc.: This Ocala-based group uses public funds to offer inpatient detox services to those with little or no income.
- Centerstone of Florida, Inc.: The program is located in Bradenton, in Manatee County, and offers inpatient detox with public funding.
- Chemical Addictions Recovery Effort, Inc.: The private nonprofit organization runs an inpatient detox program in Panama City, using public funds to offset the cost of treatment for those who need financial assistance.
- Community Health of South Florida: Based in Miami, this program provides inpatient detox services with help from public funding.
- David Lawrence Mental Health Center, Inc.: Based in Naples, this nonprofit uses public funding to offer inpatient detox services to underserved populations.
- Drug Abuse Comprehensive Coordinating Office, Inc. (DACCO): This not-for-profit corporation, based in Tampa, helps those in need of inpatient detox services by offering publicly funded assistance.
- The Drug Abuse Foundation (DAF) of Palm Beach County, Inc.: This organization in Delray Beach offsets the cost of their inpatient detox program with public funds.
- EPIC Community Services, Inc.: Based in Silver Spring, the group’s inpatient detox program uses public funds.
- Gateway Community Services: The inpatient and outpatient detox programs based in Jacksonville uses state funds to provide their services.
- Guidance/Care Center, Inc.: The Key Largo location provides inpatient detox services with public funds, while the Key West and Marathon Key locations have a publicly funded outpatient program.
- Jackson Health System: The organization’s inpatient detox program uses public funding to provide services to those in Miami and Opa Locka who cannot afford treatment otherwise.
- Jerome Golden Center for Behavioral Health: Located in the small town of Belle Glade, in Palm Beach County, this inpatient detox program uses public funds.
- Lakeview Center, Inc.: This group provides medically assisted detox using methadone through its outpatient program in addition to more standard inpatient and outpatient detox options. The organization receives public funding to help low-income and homeless individuals. There are several branches across Florida.
- Life Management Center of N.W. Florida: This Panama City-based inpatient detox program is publicly funded.
- Memorial Regional Hospital: Based in Hollywood, Florida, this hospital has inpatient and outpatient detox programs that use public funds to help those with little or no income.
- New Horizons of the Treasure Coast: Based in Fort Pierce, this statewide rehabilitation program has some branches that offer detox treatment; the St. Lucie county program offers inpatient detox with public funds.
- Operation PAR, Inc.: Much of the group’s focus is on opioid abuse, using methadone to help outpatients detox; however, the organization also offers outpatient and inpatient detox treatment, depending on the location. PAR is located in Bradenton, Clearwater, and Sarasota, and it uses public funding.
- Park Place Behavioral Health: The Kissimmee location, offering inpatient and outpatient detox programs, is enhanced with help from public funding.
- Resolutions Medical Services: The outpatient detox program in West Palm Beach has public funding so the group can offer services to those who need financial assistance.
- SalusCare, Inc.: The inpatient detox program provided by this organization in Fort Myers uses public funds to offset costs.
- SMA Behavioral Health Services: With branches in Daytona Beach and Palatka, this treatment provider uses public funds for its inpatient detox program.
- Tri-County Human Services, Inc.: Located in Bartow, Florida, this organization offers publicly funded inpatient detox.
The FDCF list also notes several private inpatient and outpatient detox options. While these organizations do not use public funding to offer help for those who need low-cost or free treatment, they may accept insurance for part or all of the detox program; they may work with clients to develop a payment plan; or they may offer sliding scale treatment options.
Additional help for Florida residents who are veterans comes from the Offices of Veterans Affairs. Locations for detox and rehabilitation treatment can be found across the state.
Adults and children experiencing a crisis due to substance abuse can contact the Agency for Community Treatment Services (ACTS), which operates housing facilities for those with few financial means who are in need of help.
Faith-Based Recovery Programs in Florida
Many Christian-based organizations provide detox and rehabilitation programs to those who want fellowship and a Christ-centered recovery plan. These options are also often free to people who are homeless or low-income.
Some of the treatment options in Florida include:
- City Rescue Mission LifeBuilders Addiction Recovery: This long-term residential recovery program does not provide medical oversight, but it offers social help through detox and ongoing treatment. They are based in Jacksonville.
- Miami Rescue Mission: Another Christian charity focusing on helping transient and low-income populations get detox and rehabilitation help via a Bible-focused path.
Florida Non-Profit Drug Rehab and Detox Help
Although most nonprofit detox and rehabilitation programs in Florida have a Christian mission focus, the Florida House Foundation (FHF) is one of the few that accepts donations and works to ensure treatment accessibility regardless of income level without requiring individuals to participate in prayer or Bible study. The program is accredited by several organizations, and it offers both detox and rehabilitation help to overcome substance abuse.