Using United Healthcare Insurance With Optum for Drug & Alcohol Rehab
If you have a UnitedHealthcare insurance plan with Optum, some or all of your addiction treatment at River Oaks may be covered.
Read on to learn more about using insurance to pay for rehab, the different types of rehab covered by UHC/Optum, and how to maximize your health insurance benefits to get the care you need.
What Is Optum United Healthcare Insurance?
UnitedHealthcare (UHC) and Optum both operate under the parent company, UnitedHealth Group, which provides medical benefits to people in all 50 states, including Florida.1,2
UHC is a national insurer that provides healthcare coverage and benefits to individuals, families, employers, and Medicare and Medicaid beneficiaries.3
Optum works with UHC, other insurance providers, health systems, and employers to help provide specialty health and wellness services to their members. This includes mental health services like addiction treatment.4,5
Optum is not an insurance company. But they do contract with United Healthcare to provide coverage for many health services. If you have a UnitedHealthcare plan, you can locate a covered provider with the help of Optum.
Does Optum Cover Drug & Alcohol Rehab?
Yes, if you have Optum as part of your health insurance plan, there is a strong possibility that your addiction treatment will be partially (if not fully) covered. However, the amount of insurance coverage provided may vary greatly depending on your specific policy and whether you choose a rehab facility within your United Healthcare plan’s network.5,6
Before entering a substance abuse treatment facility, it is crucial to confirm your UHC/Optum coverage for alcohol and drug rehab. There are several ways to verify your benefits, including:
- Using the UHC and Optum online member portals for access to information about your insurance coverage and plans.
- Calling the phone number on the back of your insurance card to speak with an Optum representative.
If there is a specific treatment center you are interested in attending, you can also contact the facility directly. The facility can check whether your Optum insurance is accepted and help you determine the most appropriate treatment options.
Which Types of UHC Plans Cover Addiction Treatment?
United Healthcare plans that usually provide coverage for mental health and addiction treatment include:6
- Individual and family plans: private insurance options for families and individuals, obtained through an employer or purchased on the Health Insurance Marketplace.
- Medicare plans: for individuals aged 65 and older (or individuals who suffer from a qualifying disability).
- Medicaid plans: for low-income families and individuals.
What Levels of Care Does Optum/UHC Cover?
With your UHC/Optum coverage, you may be able to access different forms of evidence-based treatment for substance use disorders, such as:
- Medical detox or withdrawal management: A medically supervised program that helps patients rid their bodies of drugs and alcohol as safely and comfortably as possible.
- Residential rehab: An intensive treatment environment where the patient lives at the facility to give recovery 100% focus.
- Outpatient rehab: Ranging from partial hospitalization (20+ hours per week) to intensive outpatient (9+ hours per week), outpatient programs offer the flexibility of living at home while attending treatment. They can be used alone or as part of an aftercare plan for someone who has completed inpatient programming.
- Prescription drugs: Depending on the plan, patients may be prescribed certain treatment medications as needed.
Is River Oaks In-Network With Optum/UHC?
Yes, River Oaks Treatment Center is in-network with Optum/UHC for all levels of care. To see if your UHC/Optum plan covers addiction treatment at River Oaks, use our simple and secure .
We’ll email you back within minutes, confirming important insurance details and next steps.
How to Cover Costs Not Covered by Optum Insurance
It is usually less expensive to seek treatment at a facility that is in-network with Optum/UHC, like River Oaks Treatment Center in the Tampa metro area. But most quality treatment programs offer different forms of financial assistance and rehab payment options to help cover any out-of-pocket costs not covered by insurance.
The cost of addiction treatment with UHC/Optum will vary based on a person’s , , , and specific insurance policy. Out-of-pocket costs may also depend on the level(s) of care needed to manage the substance use disorder and any other co-occurring mental health disorders or related medical issues.
Get In-Network Treatment at River Oaks
While there are ways to pay for rehab without insurance, using health insurance simplifies the process, allows for more options, and makes it significantly cheaper.
If you or someone you love is struggling with addiction, you’re not alone, and it’s not too late to get help.
American Addiction Centers (AAC) is committed to delivering original, truthful, accurate, unbiased, and medically current information. We strive to create content that is clear, concise, and easy to understand.
While we are unable to respond to your feedback directly, we'll use this information to improve our online help.