Out-of-State Rehab: What to Expect at River Oaks
Benefits of Out-of-State Rehab
Addiction is a devastating illness, but it is treatable. However, the right treatment may vary greatly based on individual needs. This means the ideal setting (i.e., inpatient, outpatient, etc.), combination of therapy methods, use or non-use of medications, and length of time spent in treatment for one person may not be the same for another.
Similarly, many people benefit from traveling to another state for their addiction treatment while others may prefer to stay close to home. But what are the advantages in going to rehab in another state? Let’s discuss.
Why People Choose to Travel for Rehab
There are several advantages to attending rehab in another state:
- First, traveling for rehab allows you to avoid distractions and obstacles to your recovery that may be present at home. Geographical change is not a permanent solution to addiction, but a change of scenery can help you clear your mind and focus.
- Going to rehab in another state means you’ll have to fully commit heart-and-soul to your sobriety. The temptation to leave and return to old habits may be greater when it’s easy to do so.
- It opens you up to finding more facilities that are right for you.
Selecting the Right Out-of-State Rehab Center
If you want to go to rehab in another state, there are several things to consider when choosing a facility. These include:
- The type of care provided at the facility. This includes evidence-based and supplemental therapies in rehabilitation, and whether they can provide medication-assisted treatment (MAT) and treatment for co-occurring disorders. Treatment facilities may also have specialized treatment tracks for certain demographics. For example, River Oaks has programs for Veterans and First Responders, LGBTQ+, and impaired professionals.
- The amenities available at the facility. Rehabilitation is hard work and being able to unwind makes a big difference.
- Aftercare programs. Getting sober is difficult, but so is remaining in sobriety. That’s why so many people benefit from staying connected with their peers and forming a positive network. Effective addiction centers like River Oaks understand this and provide the means for alumni to stay connected, as well as tailoring a plan for your aftercare while you are still in treatment.
What to Expect When Traveling for Rehab
At River Oaks, admissions navigators (that can be reached at ) can help you coordinate a flight to Tampa International Airport. They’ll also arrange for someone to pick you up from the airport and take you to the facility.
When you first arrive at the facility, you’ll be given a medical evaluation to determine your needs. Within 48 hours you’ll also receive a psychological evaluation.
Treatment often begins with medical detox, in which patients are monitored 24/7 to ensure they withdraw as safely and comfortably as possible. Typically, this lasts 5-7 days.
Afterward patients move on to rehabilitation treatment, which may be provided in a variety of different settings. Rehabilitation treatment involves various forms of therapy designed to help you recognize and overcome problematic thought and behavioral patterns, as well as learn to forge positive, lasting interpersonal connections.
If you or a loved one is suffering from addiction, please reach out to an admissions navigator at . They can tell you more about River Oaks facility, the process of using insurance to pay for rehab, the admissions process, options for paying for rehab, and more.